Wednesday, December 23, 2009

♫ If I can (dun, dun) pay rent there, I'll make it (dun, dun) anywhere... ♫

Today's map shows occupancy rates of housing units in Manhattan. The three maps show rate of occupancy by renters, by owners and vacant properties.


(Click to enlarge)

I feel like "housing unit" has a somewhat inconsistent definition with the U.S. Census Bureau. I'll have to research it when I have time. As in my earlier map of Detroit, where a high vacancy rate was observed in the census block containing the airport, the map of Manhattan has two oddities. The Mt. Sinai Hospital, which fills an entire census block by itself, is listed as being owner occupied, while the Metropolitan Hospital Center located a few blocks east, and which similarly fills an entire block, is listed as vacant.

You get the just of it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment